Tuesday, June 26, 2012

This is just WRONG...


I don't usually comment on political stuff, largely because I like to be as optimistic as possible, but today I'm going to make an exception...

There has been a lot of coverage in the media about tax avoidance schemes and the high-profile people who have been using them to reduce the tax they pay. David Cameron was quoted as saying Jimmy Carr's use of a tax avoidance scheme was 'morally wrong'. Personally I believe in paying tax and, following years in my 20s when I didn't ever earn enough to pay tax, I view the fact that I now have to pay it as evidence of being blessed with a decent job. But that's beside the point.

I saw an article today on The Guardian website that absolutely appalled me, so much so that I decided to break with tradition and blog about it. Food bank charities in the UK are reporting unprecedented rises in demand for food parcels as people face real hardship through rising prices, benefit cuts and the continuing economic crisis.

This is morally wrong: that in 2012 so many people should be facing life below the poverty line in a country that is the seventh richest in the world. Regardless of your political persuasion, a situation where the rich get richer (and are sheltered from legislation by a Government too scared to upset them) and the poor get poorer is just unfair and wrong.

I don't believe in spouting theories without action. So instead of just feeling the injustice and doing nothing about it, I found my local foodbank and have supported them today. I'm lucky enough to be in a position now to be able to do that, but ten years ago I was in a situation where I had to rely on the generosity of others, so I know what an amazing thing it is that they do. The Black Country Foodbank, my local foodbank, is supported by my church and other local churches and last year distributed over 43 tonnes of food to nearly 7,000 people (including 2,500 children). It is managed by volunteers and is a fantastic charity. You can find out more about them here.

That's it, really. Not a political message but a human one. Nobody should live in poverty, full stop. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Listen to my album tracks!